The Process Of Getting Your License

TAKE THE COURSE: You must take the Pre-license Course from an approved school.

PASS THE EXAM: Our entire program is built to give you what you need to succeed.

BEGIN SELLING: We’ll help you find a Sponsoring Broker, who will take it from there!

Where Are You On Your Real Estate Journey?


What is the difference between a Salesperson, Broker, and Realtor?

Kansas issues two types of licenses – a salesperson’s license and a broker’s license. A new licensee starts with a salesperson’s license, while a broker’s license requires experience and a certain number of transactions. Salespersons must work under a licensed broker, and the terms “agent” and “licensee” are also used interchangeably. A realtor is an agent who is a member of the National Association of Realtors.

How soon can I get my license?

That really depends on you and your level of motivation, as well as how quickly you want to progress. Fortunately, the process is not lengthy, and most students are able to complete it within 60 days. However, if you need or want to take more time, you can extend the timeline to several months.

What courses do I need to get my license?

The training program consists of two 30-hour courses, totaling 60 hours. The Kansas Principles of Real Estate course, is solely focused on preparing you for the license exam. It teaches you the necessary knowledge and skills to pass the test. The second course, titled Kansas Practice Course, focuses on the practical application of the concepts and principles learned in the principles course. This course lays the foundation for how you can use your license and will be further developed by the brokerage you choose to affiliate with. They will help take you to the next level in your career.

What happens if I fail the state exam?

If you fail either portion of the exam, you’re allowed to retest. You would only need to retake the portion that you failed, not the one you passed. The testing organization charges an $82 fee for the first test. If you need to retake the exam, they offer a small discount: it’s $75 for the retest. You can retake the exam as many times as you need to. However, we strongly encourage our students to plan on passing on the first attempt!

Where do I take the state exam?

Pearson VUE administers the exam, which has multiple locations in and around the metro area, as well as around the state. Please check their website for updated information.

Do you help with scheduling the state exam?

It’s the student’s responsibility to sign themselves up, but we provide guidance on how to do it correctly and make sure they take the right exam. We review the process in class, and it is very straightforward.

What is on the state exam?

The state exam covers agency, state license law, and math calculations related to real estate transactions, and more. Pearson VUE publishes an outline of the test in their candidate’s handbook, which tells you what topics and how many questions will be on the test. We go over this in class, and students can also download it themselves. This is a great study guide because you can focus on the topics with the most questions.

Is it difficult to find an agency to work for?

While we don’t directly assist with job placement, finding a job is not difficult at all. In fact, once you successfully complete the process and pass the exam, brokers will start calling to recruit you. So it’s just as important for you to interview them as it is for them to interview you.

Can I do real estate part-time?

While it’s possible to work in real estate part-time, we don’t recommend that you have a “part-time” atitude. If you take on the responsibility of being someone’s agent, it’s essential to make a full-time commitment. You may have another job or business, but you should never consider yourself part-time: you have two full-time jobs. We prefer to consider these agents to be “dual career agents”, not “part-time agents”.

What can I do with a real estate license?

Your salesperson’s license can be used in various niches such as property management, commercial, and residential real estate. Once you achieve the license, you’re qualified for anything that requires it.

Does my Kansas license work in other states? And if not, how do I get licensed in other states?

Each state has its own licensure requirements, so you can’t automatically use your Kansas license in another state. However, some states have reciprocal licensing programs that allow non-residents a shortcut, and you can check their specific requirements on their websites.


If you live in a metropolitan area that is divided by a state line, like Kansas City you can become licensed in both states. If you already have a Kansas license, for instance, you can become a licensed agent in Missouri simply by taking the Missouri practice course and passing the Missouri portion of the exam. You won’t have to take the national portion, and vice versa. The same applies for Missouri residents who want to become licensed agents in Kansas.

What kind of Continuing Education (CE) do I need to renew my license?

In Kansas, you need to complete 12 hours of continuing education every two years. This includes a three-hour core requirement, and you can choose the remaining nine hours of elective courses based on your interests. Our regional association offers a variety of courses for free, but if you don’t attend a reserved course, you’ll be charged $40 since you took an available seat.

What are some personality traits of successful agents?

There is no one personality type that guarantees success, but motivation is crucial. The key to success is building relationships, so if you enjoy helping people and consider yourself a “people person,” you’ll likely do well. A typical day involves juggling different tasks and priorities, but there are certain core activities that remain consistent. As Zig Ziglar says, “You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want.”