To be a Real Estate Agent, you’ll need a “Salesperson’s License”.

You’ll work under a
licensed Broker,
who will provide
training and support.


What does it mean to be an Agent vs. a Broker?

Kansas issues two types of licenses – a salesperson’s license and a broker’s license. A new licensee starts with a salesperson’s license, while a broker’s license requires experience and a certain number of transactions. Salespersons must work under a licensed broker, and the terms “agent” and “licensee” are also used interchangeably. A realtor is an agent who is a member of the National Association of Realtors.

What can I do with a real estate license?

Your salesperson’s license can be used in various niches such as property management, commercial, and residential real estate. Once you achieve the license, you’re able to explore all opportunities.

If I'm an Investor, should I get a Real Estate License?

Some investors get a license for access to data like the MLS system and to save on commissions paid to an agent. You’re not required to help others buy or sell real estate in order to maintain your license.

Does my Kansas license work in other states? If not, how do I get licensed in other states?

Each state has its own licensure requirements, so you can’t automatically use your Kansas license in another state. However, some states have reciprocal licensing programs that allow non-residents a shortcut, and you can check their specific requirements on their websites.

If you live in a metropolitan area that is divided by a state line, like Kansas City you can become licensed in both states. If you already have a Kansas license, for instance, you can become a licensed agent in Missouri simply by taking the Missouri practice course and passing the Missouri portion of the exam. You won’t have to take the national portion, and vice versa. The same applies for Missouri residents who want to become licensed agents in Kansas.

What kind of Continuing Education (CE) do I need to renew my license?

In Kansas, you need to complete 12 hours of continuing education every two years. This includes a three-hour core requirement, and you can choose the remaining nine hours of elective courses based on your interests. Our regional association offers a variety of courses for free, but if you don’t attend a reserved course, you’ll be charged $40 since you took an available seat.